Thursday, July 2, 2009

Elisabeth Vigee - Lebrune


Well it has been two months since my last post. Graduations, moving, family events were at an all time energy. I just did not have the time. I really felt guilty and missed posting.
Today I am posting a self portrait by Elisabeth Vigee- Lebrune. 1755-1842. I am fascinated by self portraits! This artist was particularly successful and painted Queen Marie Antoinette over 13 times. He bio is amazing for her time. She was self reliant , strong and had a lot of talent. For a summer project I thought I would work on her. Here is a picture of the the start of the painting. I first primed the canvas with gesso and marble dust, just like the old masters did. Then I did a charcoal drawing of the piece. It is now ready for the underpainting in chromium oxide green white and black. I post that image when I finish that stage.

No comments: